If you live in an urban apartment, chances are that the balcony is the only space that can serve as a personal outdoor space. Whether compact or spacious, use these ideas to decorate the balcony and create a cozy green nook where you can relax.
1. Introduce outdoor furniture
- Outdoor furniture should be made from weather resistant materials like wicker, plastic, wrought iron or teak.
- Add a comfortable sofa, coffee table or armchair where you can relax with a hot cup of coffee and a book. Brightly colored furniture will inject energy into the space. If the balcony is compact in size, opt for a folding table and chair that can be stowed away and put away when not in use.
- Set up an outdoor swing with cushions and you’ll feel like you’re on vacation, even if it’s only for a few minutes.
- If space allows, set up a hammock and enjoy the winter sun. Maybe even sneak in for an afternoon nap!
- However, if you live in a rental and don’t want to invest in outdoor furniture, floor cushions and a patterned rug will make the balcony cozy and welcoming in an instant.
- If your balcony is spacious, convert it to an outdoor dining area where you can entertain guests.